Aboriginal Mentor Program
The in-school Indigenous Mentor is dedicated to providing and exploring safe, culturally appropriate mentoring services for Indigenous youth.
The mentor provides individualized social and emotional support services, resource referrals, direct services to enable supports, resilience (leadership and relationship based). Referrals to see this worker can be received from several points including First Nation Support Workers, teachers, school administrators, school counselors, bands and self-referrals.
- To build resilient children and youth who have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to resist the unhealthy social conditions and peer pressures in their community.
- To build supportive and capable parents who will support their children in making healthy life-choices.
- To build healthy partnerships between community partners and families.
- To collaboratively work with school personnel to establish a wrap-around support service for students.
- Improvements in Indigenous student’s achievement as per Goal 2 of the District Achievement Plan.